Nanoindentation machines EVALUATING MECHANICAL PROPERTIES OF COATINGS
Conventional micro-hardness of coatings is measured in a cross-section. However, microsectioning or metallographic preparation is an extremely time consuming process. This is why we have developed easy-to-use instrumented indentation systems that only take up to 60 seconds to test the hardness of coatings. The load is applied perpendicular to the surface, completely eliminating the need to cross-section a sample. Furthermore, the penetration of the coating can be limited to 10% of its thickness which makes it almost a non-destructive test. The thickness of coatings can be as low as 1 micron.
Fischer nanoindenters are professional measurement instruments for the analysis of mechanical and elastic properties of materials by means of nanoindentation. Its very rigid and stable construction (marble block base – HM2000 and HM500) reduces the influence of vibrations, and fluctuations in temperature. Moreover, its high resolution (XY: +/-0.5μm) XYZ stage (HM2000 and HM500) makes it ideal for routine testing. These instruments are extremely suitable for research and industrial applications.
Nanoindenter with programmable XYZ stage for automated measurements in the load range of 0.1-2,000 mN
Cost-effective and compact manual nanoindenter for measurements in the load range of 0.1-2,000 mN
Nanoindenter with programmable XYZ stage for automated measurements in the load range of 0.1-500 mN
The measuring head HT2000 contains Vickers indenter, the test load generating unit, and the position measurement unit for determining the indentation depth. There’s also always an option to upgrade to Berkovich and Knoop indenters, as well as hard metal spheres and special shapes are available on request. The controlled touchdown of the measuring head leads to a very small machine compliance, allowing much more accurate test results.
Powerful high-resolution microscope on HM2000 and HM500 allows to focus in exceedingly small areas. The standard lens comes with x4, x20 and x40 with a video-picture in the software of the area 1,600μm x 1,200μm, 320μm x 240μm and 160μm x 120μm, respectively.
HM Nanoindenter Features and Benefits
- Various complex geometry samples can be tested in specific regions thanks to the top down measurement.
- Big samples can be allocated thanks to the spacious measurement table with the usable sample placement area of 180mm x 150mm.
- Measurement and computation of material parameters according to DIN EN ISO 14577-1 and ASTM E 2546Measurement of material parameters according to DIN EN ISO 14577-1 and ASTM E 2546
- Allows the measurement of coatings as thick as 500μm.
- Doesn’t require any sample preparation and outputs precise results with average test times of 60 seconds.
- Programmable XY-Stage and Z-Axis can be automated to measure in predefined positions what allows seamless routine measurements, repetitive and accurate results.
- WinFTM software for seamless measurements, data collection and processing comes pre-installed on PC or laptop.
- Instant results, automated data storage and reporting allows a high throughput of samples.
HM Nanoindenter Application Examples
- Measurement of Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastic (CFRP)Simplifying quality control on PCBs with automatic pattern recognitionD
- Quality control of LCD spacers
- Mechanical characteristics of conformal coatings
- Nanoindentation on wear-resistant DLC coatings applied to engine components
- Mechanical characteristics of anodised coatings
- Determining the mechanical properties of hard coatings used on machining and milling tools
- Hardness measurement of nano coatings on spectacle lenses
Service and Applications Support
Your application challenges are our prime focus. We’ve built two state-of-the-art laboratories in Lymington and Nottingham, where our technical experts with more than 25 years of experience are eager to help you. We’re always available to assist you with choosing the right instrument, developing a new measurement approach, testing samples, defining an appropriate application, and creating a compelling case study or a report to prove your ideas.
At the same time, our service department ensures almost an instant response to any of your requests, with an average turnaround time of 48 hours to resolve outstanding issues and enough engineers in your area who are available to travel on-site to support you.
Can’t purchase the instrument outright? It’s not a problem! With our highly trusted financial partner First Capital Finance Ltd., we offer to spread the cost of the instruments over three or five years. Contact us to learn more.
Fischer Instrumentation offers one year warranty on all of the instruments supplied. This fully covers you for any unexpected breakdowns or issues you may encounter.